Sunday, July 31, 2011

Sunday Funday + Snap Pea Bacon Salad



Happy Sunday!!! I'm not sure about you but Sunday's around here are anything but Rest! This is the first time I've sat down all day long, from making breakfast, to teaching Body Pump, grocery shopping, dinner, cleaning bathrooms and the list goes on! But its been a great weekend full of family time which is my idea of the perfect weekend!
Saturday we decided to take the boys to Marbles Kids Museum in Raleigh. We LOVE that place, even when its crowded they still have a blast! Here are some pictures from our fun at Marbles. 















After the museum we had dinner at the Mellow Mushroom..........sigh........it was delicious don't get me wrong but man....I felt pretty guilty afterwards. Aaron and I got their stuffed mushrooms which were amazing and not to unhealthy and we shared a Cesar Pizza. So it coulda been worse but I still came home that evening and threw on the the sneakers and hit the pavement for a few sprints, which made me feel a lil less guilty. 
Today I decided to make a Snap Pea Bacon salad recipe that I got from a website called Ilovefetacheese and let me tell you....it was AMAZING!!! An absolute must make for sure. I will say it wasn't too kid friendly, but my kids have been begging me all week for a happy meal so they could get the new smurf toy soo I thought today would be the day so that way I could make the salad for Aaron and I. Here's the recipe!
Snap Pea Bacon Salad
2 cups of sugar snap peas
1/2 bunch asparagus ( I used white)
3 slices of bacon (yes real bacon)
1/4 cup slivered almonds
6oz wild salmon
Olive Oil
salt and pepper

The Dressing
4 tbsp light coconut milk
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
salt and pepper

1) Preheat oven to 400. In a shallow dish prepare your salmon. Spray the dish then cover in olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic powder
2) Cook bacon in a pan on medium heat. Once its done place it on a plate and pat it with paper towel to remove grease. 3) While the bacon is cooking wash peas and asparagus. Start chopping your peas into about three sections per pod. Once bacon is cooked drain pan on most of its grease. 
4) Place the asparagus in the hot pan with a tad of the bacon grease, cover and let steam for 5 min
once asparagus is done remove from pan and let it cool,  then cut them in to bite size pieces as well. 



Layer it up, with the uncooked peas, chopped bacon, and
asparagus. Add some dressing.





Top with Salmon and add more dressing if desired!

Now I'm not kidding when I say this was delicious. Seriously, Aaron described it as fancy restaurant good! It would be a great to make for Date Night In for sure and just order the kiddos a pizza! Ha! <<kidding>>I'm also pretty pumped cause I have not one but two plastic containers of this ready to go for lunch for tomorrow and Tuesday! Next time I would probably remove all the bacon grease from the pan and just simply steam the asparagus with a little water and olive oil. But other than that....follow the recipe to a T and I have no doubt you'll love it! 

Weekend Food
I the usual all 3 mornings for breakfast 3 egg whites with chickpeas and spinach w/black coffee
Morning Snacks- I had protein shakes all three days
Lunch-Fri. Tuna salad on rice cake and 2 boiled eggs, Sat. leftover chili, Sunday Baked sweet potato
Afternoon snack- Fri. Quest Bar, Sat. Cantaloupe w/cottage cheese, Sunday Muscle milk from the gym
Dinner- Fri. leftover chili, Sat. Mellow Mushroom and Sun. Snap Pea Salad
and I basically ate an entire honey dew Saturday night! So good! 

Weekend Workouts
Friday- Leg Day
Leg Curl 2x20 using 40lbs
Leg extension 2x20 using 60lbs
Squats w/bar 2x20 using 20lbs for 10 and 30lbs for 10
180 Jump Squats 5x10 with 2 equaling one
Mountain climbers 2x1min
Lunges 3x1min holding 25lb kettlebells on each side
Deadlifts 2x20 using 70lb bar
After all this I taught Body Pump and went lighter on my usual weight on the leg tracks

Late Saturday evening I ran 8 flat ground sprints that were about the length of a football field and ran 3 miles between running to the park and back home. Topped it off with 30 tricep dips off my front porch steps. 

Today I taught Body Pump and stayed for Body Combat! Awesome combo!!!

Friday, Aaron lost a good friend, who was killed in Afghanistan. Jered Ewy was his name. He and his wife Megan had just welcomed their first baby girl in June. Please say a prayer for his family and his wife......that hopefully they can find  some sort of comfort during this tragic time. It's just awful....it was his first trip to Afghanistan and he hadn't been there but maybe a month.
Makes my heart soo heavy.......and sort of feel a sense of guilt just going about our daily lives even though I know there's nothing I can do to help. So just please keep them in your prayers....as well as all the soldiers that are deployed and their families who are struggling everyday to make life somewhat normal for their kids without Daddy home and to not show an ounce of worry on their face even though their cell phone is attached to their hip just hoping that this is the hour that they get to hear their husbands sweet voice on the phone with reassurance that Today, ....he's okay!

http://www.newsok.com/two-oklahoma-national-guard-soldiers-killed-in-afghanistan/article/3590604?custom_click=lead_story_title

5 comments:

  1. Oh man, I am so very sorry to hear about your friend. What terrible news. I know I worry about my husband as he drives to his office some days...but, wow, that is *nothing* like what you ladies/families go through, I know. I'm most definitely praying for his family and for all of you all. What a tragedy. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS - That salad does look good!! We had salmon and asparagus over the weekend, too, but nothing quite as fancy as that. ;) Sounds delicious!

    And why feel guilty over having some good food over the weekend? It's not like you eat horribly every day. I think having some yummy food you wouldn't normally eat here and there is fine! :) You eat super well every other day! I'm not one to think it's ok to just binge on junk food from time to time (blech!), but eating something like an ice cream or pizza, etc, every now and then - heck yeah! We had some yummy Goodberry's on Saturday. Before lunch, even. It was a special treat, and no way was I going to feel guilty. Haha! ;)

    We love Marbles, too! Just don't get there often enough!! Haven't been in a while. We usually end up at Museum of Life + Science in Durham since both boys love that place. Love that there are so many great places around here to visit. Just not enough time to do it all as much as we would like!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH Maggie! I'm so sorry to hear about Aaron's friend. That's news that hurts many people, but more so in the military community cause you always think..what if...
    sending hugs.
    i love your blog!!! I love when it shows up in my blog roll. You may have noticed from some of my FB posts that I have finally gotten to a gym again. (it is by far what I was used to at Gold's in Hope Mills - but it's something) I have been shown some machine stuff.
    but was wondering about doing my own with free weights. I know the workout room is open when there aren't classes going on and we're welcome to use whatever. Can you suggest some somewhat beginner/intermediate exercises to do on my own? I've worked out on and off for a long time, and know lots of workouts, but not sure how to combine them correctly - make sense? today - i did legs. but i miss squats, and lunges(even though they kill me!!!) and isn't there a jumping type of squat or something? I'm also trying to train to run just 6 miles by the end of August, then the Army 10 miler, so not sure how to combine all of that -- can you suggest anything? Maybe too many questions? eeekkkk
    PS - love the blog (again) - you have become quite the motivator!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Deanna! Yay for you and your new gym membership! I'm hoping to add some Vlogs this week with a bunch of different exercises, the main challenge for me is to actually apply make up and get to the gym to make them happen! ha! Free weights are awesome and weightlifting is essential to having the results that you are looking for. So I'll keep you in mind when Im making the vlogs! Also congrats on signing up for the 10-miler, thats an awesome goal to set for yourself and registering ahead of time is nice cause then you're locked in!

    Daisy, I've set a goal to get my body fat percentage down by at least 4-5% and i've been doing so well with not cheating at all. I know I'm a lil hard on myself but I've been known to not know how to control myself when it comes to eating treats on occasion. So its something that I have to think about and slap myself on the wrist for so that I don't do it too often, if that makes any sense.
    Thanks so both of you for the thoughts and prayers for 2LT Ewy's family. He was such a great guy...so sad.
    PS-Daisy did you know that Mellow Mushroom offers gluten free pizza??

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I think it's great you have a goal and are sticking to it, then! :)

    I did know they had gf pizza. I've heard it's pretty good, too - we've just not been over in that area to try it. There's actually a place down the street that makes gf pizza, and Z-Pizza in Cary makes it, too! GF is showing up more and more! :) Of course we don't eat out a lot, but it's esp nice when I have MNOs and can find places I can eat a little something, as well.

    I'm also looking forward to those vlogs!! Esp things I can do at home and esp some about weight-lifting.

    ReplyDelete