Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Feeling Good! ( Ratatouille Recipe)

I know its only Tuesday but its already been a great week! Getting back into our gym/pool routine has done wonders for the Sullivan household! Also.....Aaron had a pretty big test in his school today that he passed with flying colors so he's back to being a less stressed happy camper! Tonight I decided to try Ratatouille for two reasons, 1) Because I like its name and the Disney movie is too cute and 2) I had all the ingredients in the fridge!
Ratatouille
3 tbsp olive oil
1 onion thinly sliced
4 garlic cloves peeled and sliced
Served over whole wheat pasta
and grilled chicken breast!
1 small bay leaf
1 small eggplant, cut into 1/2 inch pieces (about 3 cups)
1 small zucchini, halved and lengthwise cut into thin slices
1 red bell pepper cut into slivers
4 plum tomatoes coarsely chopped about 1 1/4 cups
1 tsp kosher salt
1/2 cup shredded fresh basil leaves
freshly ground black pepper

1) Over med heat, add oil to a large skillet with the onion, garlic and bay leaf stirring occasionally, until the onion has softened
2) Add the eggplant and cook, stirring occasionally, for 8 min or until the eggplant has softened. Stir in zucchini, bell pepper, tomatoes, and salt  and cook over med heat, stirring occasionally for 5-7 min or until veggies are tender. Stir in the basil and few grinds of pepper to taste.
I'm pretty sure I used more oil than this recipe recommends to keep it all lubed up as the vegetables cooked. Also I added about 1/3 cup of chicken broth that I had leftover in the fridge, and I added salt to taste.
I had to make Brock eat the veggies however Tripp and Aaron loved it!

Today's workout
Taught Body Pump this morning and completed two rounds of a Circuit with my friend Kathleen
~burpees using Bosu ball
~Wall sit with 18lb ball paired with an oblique twist
~Superman isometric hold for the lower back
~Skaters alternating with a 10lb DMB
We did each station for a minute with a minute to rest inbetween

This evening I decided to go back for a lil Yoga with my good friend Michelle! I must admit I'm pretty terrible at Yoga, however I love when I take the time to treat myself. You really do feel amazing afterwards. My favorite part is the Savasana at the end literally meaning "corpse pose" where you lie on your back, shut your eyes and completely relax while the instructor says all kinds of neat things that you don't normally think about like "take your tongue to the roof of your mouth to allow your jaw to relax." It sounds silly but you end up doing it and you actually do find that your whole face and head feel more relaxed.  I also love when they come around during Savasana and adjust you by every so slightly lifting your ankles and setting them back down, or flipping your hands to where your palms are facing up, or gently pressing on your shoulders.

Food for Today
My metabolism really must be picking up cause I feel as though I'm STARVING all the time
Anyways I had the usual eggwhite/spinach/chickpea combo for breakfast
Post workout I had a chocolate Muscle Milk
Dinner I had a chicken breast with the ratatouille and a few of the noodles
Post Yoga I had vanilla protein shake with unsweetened almond milk, PB2, and unsweetened coconut (my new favorite treat)
this evening I had an orange

It's funny because I literally haven't lost or gained any weight in over two years. I've just maintained and I was okay with that. But since I've cleaned up my diet by cutting my carbs, giving up alcohol,  sugar, and CHOCOLATE I have lost 6lbs, my clothes are starting to fit loose, and I'm feeling better than I've ever felt in my life! True Story! I'm actually looking forward to having my body fat checked again to see how my lifestyle change has made a difference! So what are you waiting for!!!!!! Tomorrow's a new day!

Also Happy Happy Birthday to my sweet niece Mikayla who turns 11 today as well as my baby cousin Courtney!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment