Thursday, July 28, 2011

High Gear + Almond Butter Whey Cookie Recipe

I've decided to kick my workouts into high gear. Ya know setting a new standard for my daily sweat sessions. I plan on lifting more often and killing the cardio and my abs on a weekly basis, instead of sorta checking the daily workout box. It honestly feels great to leave the gym drenched in sweat knowing that theres no way you could possibly do another rep of anything!

This morning my friend Kathleen and I decided to test ourselves using the Fit Test in this month's Oxygen magazine. It included a series of 4 different exercises and ranked you as "in need of a bit of work" to "you're a fitness goddess" based on your performance.
First up, the push up with your feet elevated 10 or more, One arm dumbbell row, Single-legged squat with knee tap, and finally a 300-yard shuttle run! She and I made the fitness goddess level on a couple of the exercises but not all of them. It was nice to see where I ranked (according to Oxygen) and I plan on doing it again in a month or so and hopefully my results will have improved from today.

After that we did Back and Biceps workout
~Pull ups using 90lb resistance 5 sets of 4 (sooo weak....damn pull ups...one day I will do one)
~Back Row Machine 2X20 using 70lbs for 10 and 60lbs for 30
~Dumbbell Curls 2X20 using 20lb dumbbells
~Hammer Curls to the side 2X20 using 15lbs for 20 and 20lbs for 20
~Over head tricep extension 2X20 using a 25lb plate
~Lat Pull wide grip 2X20 using 70lbs
~Tricep Dips 1 set to failure and I was only able to do 20

This evening I made it to Body Combat, one of my absolute favorite classes that we have to offer. It's basically kick boxing moves with a lot of jumping around! Great for the whole body if you ask me. I would love to wear a calorie counter in there cause I'm sure my numbers would be high. I think its funny how yoga is after combat and in order to even attempt the core track in combat I have to use a yoga mat for my hands because they are so sweaty, I'm sure the yoga people love getting my sweaty mat....gross oh well. Great class though!!!

Today I decided to make an interesting twist on Tuna Salad for lunch. I'm sure some of you will probably really think this sounds gross but it was Deeeeeeee-Licious if you ask me so I'll share.
Tuna Salad served on a Rice Cake with 1/2 sweet potato

1 large can of white tuna drained
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
1/4 cup mustard
2 tsp stevia
salt and pepper
I know it sounds odd to add the sweetener but I love sweet pickles in my tuna normally and I didn't have any soo.....stevia it was! But really this was delicious and I Will be making it again! Yum yum!

I also made the Almond Butter Whey Cookies that are featured in Oxygen magazine. 
Preheat oven 350 degrees
1/2 cup oats ( I used quick oats and put them in food processor)
1tbsp almond butter
1 scoop of vanilla whey protein powder
1 egg white
2 packets of stevia to taste
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/8 cup carob chips ( I used dark chocolate chips)


1. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper (which I'm just now reading this and obviously I didn't do)
2. Combine all ingredients in mixing bowl using your hands.
3.shape the dough into golf ball sized balls. Place on cookie sheet and bake for about 10 min


I quadrupled this recipe and made about 15 cookies. I also added a shake of cinnamon as well as a dash of water to lube the mother up! They turned out good...And and I both enjoyed them and he'll be taking them for breakfast in the morning however these tasty treats did NOT win over my boys at all! Sooooo, not for the whole family but a great snack for on the go busy adults!




Today's Food
Breakfast- a few bites of the boys Cream of Wheat and a banana 
Post workout-Vanilla Whey protein shake with unsweetened almond milk
Lunch-1 plain rice cake topped with Tuna Salad and 1/2 sweet potato sprinkled with cinnamon
Snack-plain dry almonds and a few banana chips
Dinner-Turkey Chili from last night
Dessert-Almond butter whey cookie



1 comment:

  1. We put diced apples and raisins in our tuna salad - really sweetens it up! It's the ONLY way Camden will eat tuna salad. He doesn't like mayo at all (we use vegenaise - but he feels the same about that, thinks it's all gross), and he's never, ever liked anything w/ tuna. But he LOVES my tuna salad. I think it's b/c the fruit sweetens it up the way it does. Aiden will eat it until I take it away, too. ;) So, I don't think it sounds gross to add something to make it sweeter!

    ReplyDelete