Tuesday, August 9, 2011

The Park is your Playground

Since I've been in WV, I've had to find a few creative ways to fit in workouts. Today I went to Ritter park which is my favorite park hands down.

It was pretty hot and  a lot more humid than NC but I had to make it happen even if it was 11am and getting hotter by the minute! So if you are lucky enough to live in the Huntington area, just know that this park has way more than needed to get a nice ass whooping workout for FREE! You just have to be a lil creative, and you may receive a few strange looks but who cares cause you'll look great doing it! :)
Today's workout
I started with 10 hill sprints over by the tennis courts. I started at one speed bump, ran over the next one, and stopped at the one after that. If that makes any sense at all. Basically a distance of three speed bumps, start at one , run over one and stop at the third! Run as hard as you can up, and use the walk down as your rest and immediately go again as soon as you get back to where you started. 
Picture from the Top of the hill! It's no joke!


Next I went down to the actual park and found me a nice park bench to take a rest....right! Uhhh...NO how bout to do a few box jumps using the bench. 
4 sets of 20 jumps on the bench
you simply use momentum just up on the
bench and jump back down with both feet
great exercise!


Thanks to the fabulous RPD I now have a new found love for the bear crawl! Never thought I'd say that but the bear crawl rocks! Its great for the whole body and especially the shoulders. You simply bend over at the waist and put your hands on the ground and walk like a bear .
I bear crawled in between these two trees
back and forth 4 times with rest in between


And Lastly I found this chain that I used as a make shift double dutch jump rope.
Stand on one side of the chain with both feet, and jump over with both
feet back and forth 2=1 for 10. Do 4 sets of 10 :)





After this sweaty good time I was dying of thirst and left my water bottle on a park bench near my car, well me being the freak I am I got worried that someone could've put something in my drink (I know weird) so I drove to the store and picked up one of these!

Coconut water is supposed to be excellent for hydration!
I admit its not the best tasting stuff but is a quick fix for hydrating!


As most of you know I stay with my fabulous Grandma when we come in town. I love this woman and she's a huge inspiration to me in a lot of ways but especially in how she takes care of her self and has literally taken her health into her own hands. She is now 77 years old and is healthy as a horse! She never sits down and has her diet down to a T. Anyways with her garden in full swing this is how I eat when I come here
Yumm all the veggies from her garden served with turkey breast! soo Good!


Since I was taken pictures around the park here is a picture of the fountain where Aaron asked me to be his wife! Another reason why I love this park!
















1 comment:

  1. Holy tamoles (prob not even a word...) The Veggies look so good!! One thing I really miss about NC was the farmers market!! Not the same here.

    ReplyDelete