Sunday, August 28, 2011

Cinnamon Swirl Protein Bread + Lime Cilantro Chicken Tacos

Finally our power is back on!!! Thanks to Hurricane Irene we lost power toady around 2 or 3pm and it just now came back on about an hour ago! I always think its just a lil bit fun when the power goes out! Gives you time to think outside of the box for entertainment and food prep! Last night I decided to try some Lime Cilantro Chicken Tacos, a recipe that I found in a random magazine! They turned out really good, definitely a keeper recipe for sure! So here ya go!
Lime Cilantro Chicken Tacos
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1 teaspoon grated lime rind
1 teaspoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
2 tbsp grated cumin
2 1/2 cups roughly shredded rotisserie chicken
8 (6 inch) corn tortillas
 olive oil spray
0% Fage Plain Greek yogurt
2 sprigs of fresh cilantro

Preheat oven to 325
Whisk together lime juice and rind, soy sauce, cilantro and cumin in a large bowl. Add shredded chicken and toss
Spray cookie sheet with olive oil and place corn tortillas on the sheet. Spray olive oil on top of the tortillas as well. Bake until they are no longer limp but also soft enough that they can still bend. Once done spread the tortillas with greek yogurt, add desired amount of chicken mixture, and top with freshly chopped onion and cilantro and maybe even hot sauce if desired!!! Delish Delish Delish!!!!

My Way: I didn't use a rotisserie chicken instead I placed 6 chicken breast in my crockpot on high for about 4 1/2 hours with just a little lemon juice , salt and pepper. Once it was done I shredded it with a fork. I doubled the lime juice, soy sauce and cumin for the chicken sauce and may have added more. The sauce is the best part so you may want to make extra to taste. I also did not add the cilantro into the sauce instead we used it as a topping for the tacos. Delicious and it was enough for 2 nights of dinner!  Oh and the corn tortillas make all the difference, the first night I served it I used wheat tortillas and it was ok but the corn tortillas were the perfect match for this chicken!
Not the prettiest picture, I made this plate in the dark thanks
to Hurricane Irene! Served with a brown rice/barley/black bean/
1 can of fire roasted tomatoes and seasoned to taste! 


Next up before my computer dies......is Jamie Eason's Cinnamon Swirl Protein Bread
1/3 cup Ideal Xylitol (I used brown sugar instead)
2 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 cups oat flour
2 scoops vanilla whey protein powder
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup Ideal Xylitol or 1/4 cup Stevia (which is what I used)
2 egg whites
1 cup unsweetened almond milk 
1/3 cup or 1 4oz jar of baby food apple sauce (I used regular apple sauce not baby food)
1/4 cup low sugar vanilla yogurt

Preheat the oven to 350/ Spray an 8x8 baking dish (loaf pan)
In a small bowl combine brown sugar and cinnamon
In a large bowl whisk together oat flour, whey, baking powder, salt, and stevia
In a med bowl whisk together egg whites, almond milk, apple sauce and yogurt
Mix together everything except the cinnamon/sugar mixture
Pour shallow layer of batter in loaf pan, and sprinkle heavily with cinnamon/sugar mixture
Pour the rest of batter into the pan and draw a knife through the batter to make it swirl
Bake for 24-28min and let cool, bread will be dense

My Notes: I found that the cinnamon sugar mixture turned out to be a lot so I just ended up using a little bit of it, and I needed to pop it back in the oven a couple times after the timer went off at 25 min to get it completely done. This was a huge hit this morning at breakfast for my boys! They all loved it! 
layer and sprinkle

Aaron was so hungry he stuck a big spatula down into it before
I was able to grab the camera! Next time I think I'll add nuts.
Or you could leave out the sugar and cinnamon and add anything
like crasins, nuts, or raisins. 


My boys doing their best Bear Crawl!! One of Mommy's favorite Exercises for sure!
Week one of Jamie Eason's 12 week live fit program is over and only 11 more to go!!! Yay!!! I will say that I was concerned with the no cardio thing, but every day I left the gym feeling as though I had definitely worked and this weekend I'm so sore. I did however teach one cardio class on Wed. so I can't say that I didn't do any cardio.  Then Laura and I added in a few plyometrics on the Leg day and we also attached a "Plank Off" on the ab day. We just assumed the plank position on our elbows and held it as long as we possibly could with proper form. We'll probably do the same this week, it was a great way to mix it up and get in a lil additional work. My only concern is not really getting enough rest days considering that I taught Body Pump yesterday and today but I plan on going as light as possible on the weight in there especially today. We'll see....I always say that. I'm excited about the program though and I definitely see results in the near future! If you're thinking about giving it a shot I say go for it! 
He'll kill me if he ever sees this but this is Aaron enjoying
his Cilantro Lime Chicken Tacos last night while the power was out
sportin his head lamp and all!










No comments:

Post a Comment